Thursday 14 July 2016

Environmental and Thermal Neurophysiology blog: different name, same spirit

Nomem est omen
“The value is in the name”

Roman playwright Plautus in his play Persa

Here we are again, on the EEP blog. After a long silence (the last post dates back to last year!) I have finally decided it was about time to have a fresh start and bring things back to life in a new form and with a new approach. After all, my life is about to change substantially (again!) and it is probably time to get things moving. We say back home in Sicily that “chi si ferma e’ perduto”. Hence, let us keep moving!
Things have changed so much in the past 2 years that it is difficult to find somewhere to start from. Having been post-docching (is that a word?) in Australia first, and now in Berkeley, and having been exposed to different scientists with very different backgrounds, meant it was almost inevitable that my perspective and research interests would change dynamically. And as this blog has always reflected my passions and interests, it was unavoidable that the focus of the blog would change accordingly. So why not starting from the name? After all, as Plautus said, Nomem est omen…I therefore introduce you to the new Environmental and Thermal Neurophysiology blog. As the title of this post says, we have a different name, but we keep the same spirit.

A bit of background
After its foundations in 2012, the now ex-EEP blog grew rapidly and created a modest community of casual and more frequent readers interested in sharing information and research findings in environmental physiology. An average of 500 visits a month was soon the norm. The blog was born soon after the beginning of my PhD at the Environmental Ergonomics Research Center (Loughborough University, UK). Full of enthusiasms for this new adventure, and after an infatuation with outreach in research sparked by many years spent with my long-time mentor and friend Dr Antonino Bianco (see his historical fitnessa360 blog here: http://www.fitnessa360.com/), I decided to get my word out there about the sciency stuff I was interested in. The first post on The XV International Conference on Environmental Ergonomics (ICEE 2013) was out soon after. In the first few months of life of the EEP blog, I even managed to involve some colleagues that at the time agreed to collaborate an article (little note: one of them, Dr Victoria Kendrick, is now my wife J). Now the blog enjoys an average of 3000 visits a month and despite my "low productivity" visits keep going up.

A new start
While the initial enthusiasm for the blog was plenty and pointing upwards, after few years the time available to write posts started to go in the opposite direction. In no time, I indeed found myself juggling to finish a PhD and looking for post-doctoral opportunities. I was lucky enough to get 2 opportunities one after the other (a fellowship at the University of Sydney and post-doc position at UC Berkeley) and things have since moved on. In the meantime my work and interests have evolved and I am now stuck trying to bring together environmental physiology and somatosensory neuroscience into numerous clinical and no-clinical research projects :). Would this work? We shall see…in the meantime, as I think this area of research has the great potential to bring together scientists with multidisciplinary backgrounds, I thought I would re-launch this web-platform to spark some novel interest in the area of Environmental and Thermal Neurophysiology. A number of posts are now ready to go online and hopefully this new start will bring to the blog new readers, new contributors, and new ideas.

Stay tuned.


Davide

No comments:

Post a Comment