Thursday 22 January 2015

Sensory bases of how humans sense wetness and humidity: an overview of my PhD

It feels ages since my last post on this blog (last august!). However, I have a very good excuse for my lack of posting: I have been busy with the last stage of my PhD… and guess what? Finished! Job done! :) 

Now that I have had the time to cool down, to enjoy a bit of post-VIVA celebrations, it is time to get back to the keyboard.

What I'd like to share with you today is a presentation which is concerned with some of the work I have performed during my PhD.

As you might recall from some of the previous posts, I have been interested in the neurophysiology behind human's ability to sense skin wetness and humidity. Despite a lack of skin humidity receptors ("hygroreceptors"), we are indeed able to sense moisture/sweat on the skin, a fact which I personally find fascinating, to the point that investigating how such sensory process is performed by our brains has become the core of my PhD.

The research work has been quite effective in providing novel insights on how such perception is experienced in humans and you might find some of such findings in my papers:

Paper 2 (thermal & tactile interactions) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24269934
Paper 5 (neurophysiological model) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24944222
Paper 6 (hygroreceptor across species) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25318766

However, should you not fancy digging into some (boring?!) scientific jargon, the media attention that my work has attracted has resulted into some interesting summaries which you can enjoy here:


I was kindly invited by Dr Samuele Marcora (http://goo.gl/N3NihI) to present my work at the University of Kent during one of the School of Sport and Exercise Sciences Research Seminars.

With my presentation I have tried to provide an overview of the concept of skin wetness and of its role in thermal discomfort and behavioural temperature regulation, as well as a summary of some of the results of the experimental work conducted during my PhD.

I hope you'll enjoy it and feel free to get in touch should you have any questions!


Davide Filingeri



No comments:

Post a Comment